Saturday, 25 May 2019

In India property rights are quite complex when it comes to women. How much share will they have in the net family property is quite a complicated calculation to do. This may get complicated when she gets married and becomes a daughter-in-law. A daughter and a daughter-in-law are guided by different laws when it comes to sharing the property. There are many instances where you have heard that a daughter-in-law has been deprived of her right to property under some circumstances. That is why it is important to know the laws beforehand. In case you are keen on knowing what the rights to property are for the daughter-in-law in India, here we are to provide you with the right information.

Hindu Succession Act, 1956
The Hindu Succession Act which was amended in 2005 is one of the fundamental laws regarding a daughter-in-law’s right to ancestral property. The Section 6(1) of the Act considers the daughter in a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) to be a coparcener or a person who owns a property in a direct line of descent. That means if you are a daughter, you have an equal property right in the family since your birth. On the other hand if you are a daughter-in-law, you become the member of the family as per the HUF rules but you don’t have a right as a coparcener. You can acquire the right to property through your husband’s net share in the household property. The property can either transferred to you willingly by your husband, or you can receive it in case of demise of your husband. You cannot claim any right on the property exclusively owned by your in-laws. In case of your in-laws death, the property will be inherited and shared among the children including your husband, whose share you can enjoy only.

Shared Property
According to the Section 17 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act of 2005, every woman can reside in the shared property. A shared property means:
·         The aggrieved woman or the victim has owned and jointly rented it with the accused
·         They own or pay rent separately but has an equal amount of right, equity, interest or title
·         If the accused stay in a joint family, that will also be considered as a shared property
It is not necessary for the violated woman to own or co-own the shared property. The Court has although ratified the definition of a shared property. They have held that a shared property doesn’t include the house of the husband’s parents in which she stayed with her husband till the Act was committed. If the concerned woman is denied a stay in the shared property, the conduct of whoever is accused, either the husband or any of his relatives will be considered as an abuse.

This is a very important law regarding a married woman’s access to property. It refers to all the gifts and endowments you receive during your wedding or before it and during giving birth. According to the Supreme Court, you have absolute claim over these properties. Even if you get estranged from your husband, your right over these remains the same. If you are denied the right, it will be regarded as a criminal offence.

Parent’s house
According to a law by Supreme Court, a father has all the legal right to give his married daughter to have access to his property, and give away the house he is staying after he has died depriving other relatives. In case he doesn’t leave behind a will, you can have equal rights on her father’s property in case you aren’t the only child. You can also have similar right on your mother’s property.

There are some areas where as a daughter-in-law, you cannot exercise your right to property. They are:
o   In case your husband stay separately from your father-in-law, you have no right over your in-law’s property. It will not be considered as a shared household.
o   In case the daughter-in-law is a widow, she has no rights to stay in the in-law household if they don’t permit her.
o   The parents-in-law has no liability to look after their daughter-in-law in case the husband fails to oblige or he is absent or deceased. She cannot claim any right over their self-acquired property.
o   You have no right over your mother-in-law’s property.

 In case you need a more detailed and thorough knowledge, it is advisable to contact a consultant expert in these matters. 


  1. Bài viết của bạn thật tuyệt! Cảm ơn bạn đã mang đến những đều này cho chúng tôi. Tôi hiên này một nhân viên đang làm việc tại 888b một nhà cái lô đề online uy tín bạn có thể xem thêm chi tiết tại:

  2. One method of improving your pay is to have an Interest Only home loan, rather than a standard Repayment contract. Just Listed Calgary

  3. Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community
    Tư vấn phong cách thời trang | Bí quyết mặc đẹp cho người gầy | Xu hướng thời trang | Thời trang sao

  4. this means that the information is stored in separate places. The data from any one place cannot be used to identify a subject. Therefore leakage or misuse at one place is effectively meaningless. In order to prevent misuse in the first place, online casinos must employ the highest-possible privacy settings by default. => 우리카지노 계열 대한민국 최고의 바카라사이트

  5. Notwithstanding, presently this constant wonder of real estate area has begun to display the indications of compression.
    Haitch Convey

  6. We will likewise momentarily feature miens of U.S. real estate ventures, including U.S. real property interests, the meaning of a U.S.Haitch Convey

  7. Data Recovery begins upon once its affirmed from Client. Affirmation should be possible by email, telephone or direct contact on Percentage of Recovery, required time span, cost and installment recovery services London

  8. Property Digger is a search engine for property listings throughout the Arab Emirates. apartments in dubai silicon oasis

  9. This site seems to inspire me a lot. Thank you so much for organizing and providing this quality information in an easy to understand way. I think that a healthy era of big data can be maintained only when such high-quality information is continuously produced. And I, too, are working hard to organize and provide such high-quality information. It would be nice to come in once and get information.

    Also visit my site:스포츠토토

  10. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. แทงหวย

  11. محامي عقارات في جدة إذا كنت تبحث عن محامي محترف وكفء مختص في قضايا العقارات داخل مدينة جدة. فقد تعاني من مشقة البحث؛ نظرًا لقلة المحامين في هذا الاختصاص القانوني. محامي عقارات في جدة

  12. من هو افضل محامي في الرياض بالمملكة العربية السعودية ؟
    محامي في الرياض ، هو مكتب افضل محامي في الرياض وسائر مناطق ومدن المملكة العربية السعودية،يضم المكتب العربي للقانون طاقم متخصص من افضل المحامين في الرياض
    محامي بالرياض من هو افضل محامي في الرياض وما هو رقمه ؟ السؤال الذي يطرحه الكثير منا على بعضنا البعض عند التعامل مع المشكلات القانونية .
    حقاً أين أجد افضل محامي بالرياض مناسب لجميع القضايا القانونية بما في ذلك القضايا التجارية والطلاق والاحوال الشخصية ونقل الملكيات والشيكات والمحاكم العمالية ؟
    اذا كنت تبحث أيضاً عن افضل محامي في جدة فيسعدنا إخبارك باننا نضم افضل محامي بجدة خبرة وعلماً على مستوى المملكة العربية السعودية.

  13. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... huay-lekded

  14. This is a fantastic piece of writing. This information piqued my interest. Thank you for providing us with this information. This article contains additional information. It is strongly suggested that you read this article about the Click Faster In Minecraft CPS. To improve your click speed in Minecraft, you'll need to play more games.

  15. More schools mean less swarming for extending understudy populace, and fixes can decrease wellbeing dangers and work on the nature of the understudy's schooling climate. paito germany

  16. Mortgage agents who are well acquainted with the mortgage business can recommend you with brilliant choices.

  17. If at any time the administration has left you any cash, they will get it back from you by charging all of you kinds of occupations that were never at any point finished, similar to a house that has never been painted. That is the manner by which property managers are eaten alive.

  18. Normally, loan costs on long term mortgages are somewhat lower than with long term mortgages, which can really amount to large chunk of change when 15 extra long stretches of regularly scheduled installments are added into the image.